Relationships are hard work, and couples will inevitably face challenges at some point. If you’re considering couples therapy with your partner, here are some important things to keep in mind:
- In a study involving 1000 couples, 49% said they had attended some form of counselling with their spouse or partner.
- The highest percentage of couples (57%) in therapy had been married 3-5 years.
- From the same study, 52% of those who had not tried some form of marital counselling but were open to trying it.
- According to Dr John Gottman, a relationship and marriage expert, couples wait up to six years after problems start to see a counsellor.
- 55% of couples are in therapy for six months or fewer before seeing improvements within their relationship.
- Couples in therapy now have closer to a 75% success rate when using Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) with their counsellor.
According to research done by the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, families and couples who have attended family or couples therapy sessions indicate high levels of patient satisfaction.
- Over 98 percent of those surveyed reported that they received good or excellent couples therapy, and over 97 percent of those surveyed said they got the help they needed.
- After working with a marriage or family therapist, 93 percent of patients said they had more effective tools for dealing with their problems.
- Respondents also reported improved physical health and the ability to function better at work after attending therapy.
Interested in booking a couples counselling session with us? Reach out through our Counselling Services page